Casares

one hour and a half away from Malaga, I found myself unexpectedly enchanted by the elegance of  Casares. Its narrow streets framed by simple white houses on each side, over viewing miles upon miles of green land, proved that one can find hidden gems in the smallest of places.

 During my 10 hour visit, I was astonished by the warmth and kindness of the people. Two other Palestinians and I were taking part of a cultural week in Casares, to talk about the political situation in Palestine, as well as our daily lives.

I believe that the village is mostly inhabited by the elderly, who live alongside the nature in peace and harmony. The village is so dissociated from the rest of the world, it is almost heavenly.

I saw a sort of simplicity in Casares that I am quite unfamiliar with. It is the opposite of what I am used to; The busy streets in Ramallah, polluted with the curses of angry drivers and the horns of their cars. A type of negativity that shelters people who are tired and stressed out, people who are constantly striving to do more, yet watch their dreams from a distance and long for a life that is not theirs.

After being informed about the political situation in Palestine, I saw anger and frustration in the eyes of those who were attending our meeting Afterwards, the Palestinians and I had to talk about our daily lives; our families, friends, universities, and daily activities. By the end of our meeting, the people of Casares promised to boycott israeli products, and joined us in solidarity against the illegal acts of the occupation.


The bond we had formed with these people is unforgettable. I have no words to describe how thankful I am for their support and generosity.

To Casares, you will not be forgotten
To the people of Casares, thank you so much

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semana Santa

Rome

A Palestinian in Malaga