Palestinian food and international friends

The looks on my friends faces the first time they saw me pouring olive oil into  a green weird powder was priceless. The first time they ate Zaatar, they were both confused and intrigued. However, The spicy and salty mixture got much more acceptance than I anticipated, and I ended up dividing it into many portions that I gave to my friends. Currently, my life involves many nights of eating zaatar and leftover bread with friends at 2AM.





"Yummy"  is how my vegetarian German friend Tina describes Zaatar. She explained that it is very uncommon for Europeans to pour oil into a seasoning like food, and dipping bread into it. She is a huge fan of Zaatar now.

"Mjadara" is another common Palestinian dish that I got a lot of praise for. it is mixture of lentils and rice and fried onions. It is a very simple and affordable plate. It is usually served with a salad or yogurt.


One time, My entire flat smelled like fried onions while I was making it for my British roommate and I. Upon smelling that, my French roommate and her aunt were so intrigued by the smell and wanted to taste it. Coincidentally, my Brazilian neighbor and his French friend were passing by the apartment to say hello, and they wanted to try it as well. Ultimately, most of the people living in the two flats in my building tried it, and it was internationally accepted. The other time I wanted to make it I was so excited I ended up burning most of it, yet We were too hungry to care.

Having the opportunity to try so many different foods in the last few months was a very pleasurable part of my experience. International breakfasts, random dinners, and ordering too many or too little tapas are some of my fondest memories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semana Santa

Rome

A Palestinian in Malaga